Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Selling Sydney

Selling Sydney

 

Walking from the train station

to the office through

the quiet city streets.

 

Echoes of history.

 

I walk past terraced houses

that have stood together

for over one hundred years.

 

Feel the stories

 

dripping from the bricks,

stories of loves & struggles

fixed in history.

 

New buildings.

 

Cathedrals of consumerism.

Shopping centres. Office blocks.

Apartments, high rise.

 

Selling history according to corp.

 

My office building

looms

grey.

Like a rain cloud

solidified and fallen.

 

I step off the street

and into the open plan

designed for efficiency.

 

And put aside my history.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice Mark. How disconcerting it is for me that here in North America we value history so little and tear down historic places and put up large box stores.

    ReplyDelete