Saturday, October 17, 2009

At the Airport

At the Airport

The laptop-tapping-

cell-phone-talking-

bad-suit-wearing

zombies wait for their flights,

dragging bags and life behind them,

a slow death delayed

due to head winds.

The departure board flickers

like a stock price ticker

to all the hopeful suit boys

taking the delays as a personal affront,

the forces of nature having conspired

to keep Mr. Tie-Wearer

from his meeting.

I sit in my jeans and t-shirt

reading a poorly researched

Bukowski biography

waiting for the same flight,

delayed by the same winds,

only difference is

I’m laughing.

Laughing at the wrinkled frowns,

laughing at the frantic phone calls,

all the huffs and grunts

as the schedule is updated.

What can you do?

I guess some things

cannot be bought.


6 comments:

  1. Love it Mark. I so enjoy seeing people being stressed out by things they cannot control while I sit and make the best out of the situation. Great observational poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking Bukowski when traveling is such a good idea. (I remember reading 'Women' at Frankfurt airport in a similar way, laughing out loud, and very happy to wait for the world to do its thing) I also like the stationary point within a hubbub of transit perspective you find here Mark, but it's over too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, this one made me smile - excellent observation there. I like the rhythm of the piece and I like what the way you capture seemingly drab moment and transform them into poetry, you obviously have a real knack for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Mark... some things can't be bought. Really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:52 pm

    The first four lines are a great entry to the poem - the speed of the short lines and the thumping down on zombies as you run out of breath. Makes you want to continue through the poem. 'Suits' - they take themselves so seriously and always in a hurry - I feel like saying 'Stop hurrying - you're only racing to your own death'.

    ReplyDelete