Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Price of Art - Commercial Success Kills Another Artist

The Price of Art / Commercial Success Kills Another Artist

 

1/

I got the movie

“The Basketball Diaries”

I bought it from K-Mart

 

I wonder if the shareholders know

 

while they’re sitting there

in middle class splendour,

counting their dividends,

and cursing their tax man,

I’m watching a crazed drug fiend

bash rebarbative

on his mother’s door,

looking for an angry fix.

 

2/

I stole some art

and deprived the artist of income,

but Nevermind the artist’s dead,

fashioned himself into

a martyr for an unknown generation,

though I do feel bad I deprived a

              major corporation of royalties.

 

3/

Commercial Success Kills Another Artist.

Starved from starving. Exploded.

Blinded after darkness.

 

Suffered a corporate soul extraction

with a stylus tipped syringe,

chemically reproduced

for the herd to devour.

 

Feral primal measure

replaced by a mission statement based pentameter.

 

Weighed down by grammys.

Sank in the flow of royalties.

 

4/

Ginsberg tore me,

Carroll restore me,

Charles Bukowski

is Henry Chinaski.

 

Kurt Cobain

died in vein

‘cause in his vein

was heroine.


2 comments:

  1. I had to read this one a couple of times. It has a dark almost country song feel to it. And the idea is differently presented or is it different in each of the bits. This is where I start to go, do you have a podcast, or if you are in Sydney, I would say go annoy Brad Fredrickson and get him to go to a couple of slams with you. I don't like that word slams, can we call them readings or whatever instead? Anyway, it's a rockin good poem with a lot of subtlety in it. Lifted me out of ennui, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PAUL: Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking at going to some readings soon, we don't seem to have as many in Sydney as they do in Melbourne. I've been thinking about setting up a youtube channel, just waiting for the spare time to magically appear.

    ReplyDelete