Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dust

Dust

 

I drove through the dense dust

carried to Sydney on western winds

leaving antique coverings.

 

As the sun supposedly rose,

the air changed from pitch to a sepia brown,

framed in forgotten photography

 

The traffic slowed to a crawl

I lowered the window to have a cigarette

and felt injected into a horror movie.

 

Everyone driving the one road

to escape the evil entity

that had descended.

 

I tuned my radio

to listen for messages

of Armageddon.

 

Through the city streets

branches had fallen in overnight conflict,

leaf corpses lay strewn across roads,

and emergency services sirens

howled in the distance.


6 comments:

  1. Even with sirens and dust, my lust for a visit to Sydney is not quelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Emotional Driver: Even with sirens and dust it is still one of the world's great cities. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:12 pm

    I'm missing this current dust storm (touch wood) but remember one previously and your poem is a great description of the eerie feeling that these events rouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool poem. The dust storm is here in Brisbane right now as I'm typing and it feels a lot like your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:48 pm

    The touching wood didn't work and the dust storm has arrived in Hervey Bay - yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was walking the beach in Terrigal and couldn't even see the water... I half expected zombies to be roaming the dunes.

    ReplyDelete